Friday, November 25, 2011
20 Questions with Julia Wilkinson
Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com
Club: Island Swimming/Victoria Academy of Swimming
Coach: Randy Bennett
Height: 5'11 (178 cm)
Best Event: 200 IM / 100 BK
• 2008 Olympian
• Shoulder injury after Beijing
• Graduated from Texas A&M
• Blogs on CBC.ca
1) At what age did you start swimming?
I started swimming lessons before I could walk, and joined my first competitive team at 8.
2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
When I qualified for my first provincials just after my 11th birthday. It was in the 100 backstroke Long Course, and the qualifying time was 1:19.75. I went 1:19.74
4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
My mom, hands down. She was the one who drove me to practice, made all my swim meet food, and most importantly, always supported and believed in me 100%.
5) Who is your favorite athlete?
Paula Findlay- Triathlon
6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
My goals…and fear of Randy.
8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I imagine hearing the announcer say something like, "She is under Canadian record pace", or "Julia Wilkinson is about to win the gold for Canada!" and that gives me a surge of adrenaline.
9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Time management, and KNOWING that it can be done and you don't have to sacrifice one for the other.
10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
Plain yoghurt with harvest crunch granola and fresh berries
12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
Breaking Benjamin and Three Days Grace
13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
TV Show: Criminal Minds or American Dad
Movie: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I rub my hands on the blocks. Sometimes, by the end of a long meet, my hands have cuts on them because I did it so many times.
15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
I usually like to talk to people behind the blocks or in the ready room. Having fun and joking around makes me more relaxed and helps me swim faster.
16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
My mom's chicken parmesan.
17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Winning 3 medals at The Commonwealth Games.
18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
To stand on the podium for Canada at the Olympic Games.
19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I am allergic to chlorine!
20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
You know all those "things" you think you are missing out on? Like parties and dances? You aren't missing out on anything. You have bigger and better things ahead of you. And it'll all be worth it.
If you have any other questions for Julia, please post them under comments and we will get her to answer them for you.