Tuesday, December 20, 2011

20 Questions with Will Brothers


Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/National Green Group
Coach: Aaron Dahl
Age: 17
Height: 6’0”
Best Event: 1500m Freestyle
Swimming Canada 2011 Male Youth Swimmer of the Year

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I had taken a few Red Cross swim lessons starting around age 5 but I joined a summer swim club when I was nine to become a stronger swimmer. I came home after the first week of practice and told my parents this was all I wanted to do. I then joined a winter year round club when I was 11.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
My favorite stroke was the 200m Butterfly because it's one of those strokes where you need to have endurance and technique.

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
Achieving my first age group national time at age 11 in the 200m Butterfly at the Alberta Provincial Championships.


4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
Both my parents have equally helped me - from driving me to meets and practices, making all my meals and supporting my goals.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
The Green Bay Packers Quarterback, Aaron Rogers. Green Bay Packers are my favorite team and as probably one of the best players in the league. He is very humble.

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I live to compete so either a competitive mountain biker or skier. I grew up in Canmore Alberta and learned to love both these activities.

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
The rewards of swimming fast, whether it’s making a potential team or making a time standard.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I know I’ll be a better swimmer for what I’m doing and that the harder the workout the faster I’ll swim at a big competition.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
You have to make sacrifices to your social life to get to your full potential in swimming and school.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
Mountain biking or skiing

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
Chocolate milk and a bagel with cream cheese or an omelet.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
I’ll always be a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan.

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
Dexter is the best show out there and as for a movie I’d have to say “The Dark Knight”

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I have to trust my own training and what I have done to prepare myself physically for the race.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
Listen to music, jump up and down and 5 loud claps before I step on the block.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
Any sort of pasta is great.

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Finishing 6th at the 3rd FINA World Junior Championships in the 1500m Freestyle.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
To represent Canada at the Olympic Games and World Championships.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I was born with a vascular birthmark in my cheek. I have had a total of 13 surgeries on my cheek to treat it.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
Don’t sweat the small stuff, you can’t swim your life time best all the time but if you train your best you’ll achieve your goals when it counts.

If you have any other questions for Will, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment