Wednesday, December 28, 2011

20 Questions with Keegan Zanatta



Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/National Green
Coach: Aaron Dahl
Age: 18
Height: 6'3
Best Event: 200, 400, 1500 freesytle

• Graduated from Claremont Secondary School
• Attending University of Victoria
• Speaks both English & Spanish
• Learned to swim in his grandparent’s pool
• His mother and his uncle are both former swimmers

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I first started swimming when I was 7 years old.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
I’ve always been a big freestyle fan, mainly because I’m not good at much else.

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
My first national team with all my new friends.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
Definitely my parents, without them I wouldn’t be where I am today.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
I don’t really have a favorite athlete.

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I probably wouldn’t be doing anything if I wasn’t a swimmer, nothing else really interests me.

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
I can’t stand getting beaten in a race, so every time I do get beaten, I remember it and use that to motivate me to train harder.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I usually just think about how much easier it will be for me to swim fast, the harder I work in practice.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Making sure you’re prepared for both, go to sleep at a good time and study hard when you have the chances too.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
Sleeping… without a doubt.

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
Chocolate Milk.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
My favorite artists are Avicii, Steve Aoki, and Nero.

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
My favorite movie is Se7en, favorite TV show is Modern Family.

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I usually just listen to music and try to visualize my race.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
No, not really.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
I usually just have pasta before the meet for the carbohydrates.

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Winning the 4x200 free relay at the Jr. World Championships in Lima, Peru.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
I really want to make the Olympic team this year and the senior national teams afterwards.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I really like cats.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
To enjoy every moment of what you’re doing, because you never know what’s going to happen when you’re older.

If you have any other questions for Keegan, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

3 comments:

  1. What would you say to help motivate a swimmer who feels that he/she is mediocre? What advice would you give to help them reach the next level?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remind them to keep working hard and to have fun doing so, eventually all of their hard work is bound to pay off and they'll prove that they are better then even they think they are.

    -Keegan

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey keegan, your hot

    ReplyDelete