Friday, January 20, 2012

20 Questions with Alec Page


Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/National Green
Coach: Aaron Dahl
Age: 18
Height: 5'11
Best Event: 400 Individual Medley

• Graduated from Claremont Secondary School
• Won the Victor Davis Award in 2009
• Won 4 Gold Medals at the 2009 North American Challenge Cup
• Broke 30 yr old Canadian Record in the 400m IM for 15-17 yr old boys

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I started swimming at 10 years old.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
My favourite stroke was Freestyle. My favourite event was the 200 freestyle.

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
My very first memorable swimming moment was my very first swim practice. I started the practice without knowing anything about flip turns, technique, or how to swim butterfly.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
The people who have helped me out most along the way have definitely been my parents. Without them getting up at 5am to drive me to practice or supporting me through tough times I wouldn’t be where I am today.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
Ian Thorpe, Brittany Maclean, Alexandre Bilodeau, Brian Johns

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
If I wasn’t a competitive swimmer I would definitely be playing other sports. I can’t see myself ever not playing sports.

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
I am motivated by goals I have set for myself. The goal that keeps me going is to make the Olympic team.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I tell myself that being sore and tired right now is only one step, and in the long run it will all be worth it.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Setting your priorities and managing your time wisely.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
My favourite activity outside of sport without a doubt is sleeping.

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
My favourite post-workout snack is a big bottle of water and a protein bar, or some fruit.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
My favourite band is Pearl Jam.

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
My favourite movie is Transformers 3, and my favourite TV show is Criminal Minds.

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
Before a race I prepare mentally by listening to songs that motivate me and telling myself, “Live in the moment” because you can only control what is happening right now.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
My only ritual is when I step onto the blocks, I hit the bocks twice, clap my hands twice. Then I shake my arms out, finally my legs out and take a deep breath, then tell myself “Here I am”.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
My favourite pre-meet meal is a bowl of soup, a big sandwich, a tall glass of chocolate milk, and some honey-dew melon.

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Winning a gold medal at the World Junior Championships on the 4x200 meter freestyle relay.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
My future goals are to; make the Olympic team, break a Canadian record, and win a medal for Canada at the international level.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I am very bad at memorization.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
Be confident in what you have done and what you can accomplish. Most importantly stay confident in yourself.

If you have any other questions for Alec, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

1 comment:

  1. Best of Luck to you Alec, as always. Keep up the great work , I will be looking for you on the Olympic team soon.

    Dave healy

    ReplyDelete