Wednesday, February 29, 2012

20 Questions with Ryan Cochrane



Club: Island Swimming/Victoria Academy of Swimming
Coach: Randy Bennett
Swimmer: Ryan Cochrane
Age: 23
Height: 6’4’’
Best Event: distance free

• Ryan has a twin brother
• Part of the COC Speakers group
• Started swimming in the Red Cross Program
• Won a bronze medal at 2008 Olympic Games

1) At what age did you start swimming?
9 competitively, but I started lessons at 4

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
Definitely the backstrokes

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
I remember going on my first trip with team travel, and being able to travel to a new city without my parents. It was an exciting experience for an 11 year old.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
The people who helped me most along the way would have to be my coach Randy, as well as my parents.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?Don’t have one really, although I appreciate what a lot of athlete’s have done in their sports.


6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I’d most likely be finishing up university and starting a career. I wouldn’t be able to tell you what exactly I’d be doing though.

7) What keeps you motivated day to train hard each day?
Both long-term and short-term goals; the short-term goals keep you interested and focused, while the long-term ones give you something to constantly strive for.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I’ve learned to focus on the goals I set for myself, and do everything not to focus on being tired or sore. I think you can surprise yourself with how much your body can take.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
There is no secret; it can be a very exhausting and difficult process. I just make sure to plan my time in advance and make the most of the little spare time I get on top of that.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
I love hanging out with friends when I’m not at the pool. Being able to not talk about swimming and just hang out is definitely what I need away from the pool.

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
I’m a bit odd, in that my favourite snack after a hard workout is a recovery shake. I find it fills me up and is exactly what my body craves.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
I like electronic music, so anyone from Wolfgang to Kaskade to Porter Robinson.

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
I really like watching entourage, as well as Dexter. Favourite movie would have to be the new Star Trek or Gladiator.

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I like to focus on all the hard work I’ve done in the lead up to that point; by focusing on the positive things I’ve done in preparation, I’ll have nothing which will cause doubt in my racing abilities.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
I rely on music to get me motivated, so having my iPod loaded with some good new music is essential for me.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
Not really; my pre-meet meals are based mainly on how I’m feeling at the time.

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
I would say winning my Olympic medal would be my career highlight so far; but I’m also really proud of the medals I’ve won at the World Championships.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
My goal for this season is to make it back on to the podium at the Olympics. Past that, I hope to continue to be one of the best distance freestylers in the world.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I used to be a backstroker, and my first coaches thought I should probably be a butterflyer (although I’m glad that thought didn’t prevail)

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
To not idolize anyone in your sport; everyone is beatable, but you can appreciate the hard work other people put in. Use it as a motivator for yourself, instead of limiting your ability by putting people on pedestals.

If you have any other questions for Ryan, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

2 comments:

  1. If you could do another sport besides swimming, what would it be?

    ReplyDelete