Monday, March 12, 2012

20 Questions with Stefan Hirniak



Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/Victoria Academy of Swimming
Coach: Randy Bennett
Age: 27
Height: 6'2
Best Event: 200fly

• Canadian record holder in the 200m butterly
• Bronze medalist at the Commonwealth Games
• Set a World SC Record in the 4x200m freestyle in 2009
• website: www.stefanhirniak.com

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I started swimming when my mother enrolled me in the mother-infant swim classes when I was still a baby. I grew up swimming summer club and then started swimming year round at the age of 10.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
My favorite stroke/event was the 25free

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
Not being able to remember the order of the 100IM before the first time I had to swim it in a summer club meet. I was so nervous that I was going to mess it up, but I got through it and never looked back.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
I really appreciate all the support that I have gotten from my parents along the way. They have been so amazing during this whole journey and have always been there for me.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
Michael Jordan

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I would be a PRO baseball player pitching for the Yankees.

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
My motivation is the desire to be the best and the quest to push myself past the limits that I and other people have placed on me.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
Positive self talk and internal motivation are a great way to get through the tough sets and hard times. We spend so much time in our heads, you have to get used to pumping yourself up when you don’t feel great or want to do something.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Time management is the key to everything! If you can learn to get ahead you will make your life so much easier and stress free. I wish I had learnt this at a much earlier age.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
Cooking!

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
Sliced ham with pickles and cheese all rolled up.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
Eminem

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
Entourage

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I go over the race in my head and visualize every stroke I am going to take. Sometimes I will listen to music and sometimes I just like to listen to the noises around me.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
Not really except I always take a hot shower the morning of a big race.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
Steak

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Winning the bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games was pretty awesome as it was my first international individual medal. I always love being on relays and breaking the World record in the 4x200 in Leeds was a pretty amazing experience and really cool to be a part of.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
I want to push myself to my body’s absolute limit and find out where that limit lies. I clearly plan on making the Olympic team and would love to represent Canada in the Finals in London.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I have some pretty unreal rapping skills.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
Have fun and don’t take things too seriously. If you get burned out before you have a chance to really develop, then the sport cannot take you anywhere. I have been so lucky to be able to do something I love for so many years. Swimming truly is a sport that gives back what you put into it.

If you have any other questions for Stefan, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment