Friday, March 16, 2012

20 Questions with Jeremy Bagshaw



Photo credit: www.jeremylim.ca

Club: Island Swimming/National Green Varsity
Coach: Aaron Dahl
Age: 19
Height: 181 cm
Best Event: 200, 400 Freestyle
University bio

• Born in Singapore, raised in Canada
• Speaks English, French and Mandarin
• Graduate of St. Michaels University School, Victoria, BC
• Currently attending Berkeley University in California on scholarship
• Canada's flag bearer & bronze medallist at the 2010 Youth Olympics

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I first started swimming when I was about 4 but only got into competitive swimming when I was around 7.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
I have always been a freestyler, I never really enjoyed swimming other strokes, because they just seemed so much harder than freestyle.

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
Breaking the national record in the 11-12 200 freestyle relay at AAA’s in Victoria.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
My Mom and Dad, they were always at meets supporting me, and they have spent countless hours over the years taking me to and from practice.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
It would have to be Zinedine Zidane, because I’ve always enjoyed watching him play football, what he did on the pitch was always so impressive.

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I’m not sure, but I would definitely have been involved with some other sport.

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
To always get better and all the great trips and experiences that will come from my hard work.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
I try and forget about how tired and sore I really am and try to focus on other things like technique and how much this work is going to pay off in the future.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
Being organized and planning ahead, I have to plan ahead for when I am travelling and try and finish work before I leave so that I don’t get too far behind.

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
Spending time with my friends playing video games or just hanging out.

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
It would have to be chocolate milk, nothing is more satisfying than drinking chocolate milk after a hard practice

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
It would have to be Backstreet Boys, I’ve gone to a couple of concerts and listening to their music just brings back so many great memories.

13) What is your favourite TV show, movie or both?
My favourite TV show right now is New Girl.

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
I try to focus on myself and think about all the work that I have done and how it will pay off. Thinking about all the work I’ve done over the years helps me know that I am ready to swim my best.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
I listen to music to get me ready. It really helps to get me focused.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
I never really eat anything specific before a meet; it is normally what is around on that specific day.

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Either winning a bronze medal at the youth Olympics or winning the team NCAA championship last year. Both for different reasons, at YOG it was the first time I ever swam in front of my family in Singapore and to have them there cheering for me was such a great experience, and the NCAA championship is like no other meet the feeling of coming together as a team and doing something together is like nothing I’ve experienced before.

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
I plan to make this year’s Olympic team, then continue with my college career, and then see where my swimming could go after college.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
I really love food, trying new food from around the world is always fun.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
Leave swimming at the pool. Don’t think too much about swimming, it should be something that you do at the pool, once you leave the pool you should focus on other things and always have fun.

If you have any other questions for Jeremy, please post them under comments and we will get him to answer them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment