Friday, March 23, 2012

20 Questions with Stephanie Horner



Photo credit: www.deannamccollum.com

Club: Island Swimming/Victoria Academy of Swimming
Coach: Randy Bennett
Age: 23
Height: 5’11’’
Best Event: Individual Medley

• Rookie of the meet at 2004 Olympic Trials
• won her first national medal at 2005 World Championship at age 15
• 2008 Olympian

1) At what age did you start swimming?
I started swimming as a summer swimmer at the age of nine. I loved my coach so much that I joined her winter group with the Beaconsfield Bluefins.

2) What was your favorite stroke or event as a 12 & under swimmer?
Butterfly because it was the most challenging to learn.

3) What is your very first memorable swimming moment?
Going to an age group swim meet and winning all my races. I came back home with seven gold medals.

4) Who is the person you think helped you most along the way?
My family because they listen to me and they love me no matter what.

5) Who is your favorite athlete?
I don’t have one. I admire those who are hardworking.

6) What would you be doing if you weren’t a competitive swimmer?
I would be finishing up school at a quicker pace and starting my own business.

7) What keeps you motivated to train hard each day?
The Olympics because it is the best of the best.

8) How do you push yourself during a hard workout when you are tired or sore?
It won’t be any easier in a race. It is a state of mind that will help one get better along the way.

9) What is the secret to balancing school and training?
If you want to be the best that you can be, you have to have good time management and organizational skills. One must learn to prioritize their tasks. When there is a will there is definitely a way!

10) What is your favourite activity outside of sport?
I like pilates. It looks easy, but it is actually pretty challenging for the body. You have to focus on each movement and learn how to stabilize yourself properly. I also enjoy Zumba classes. Pump up music fits well with my personality.

11) What is your favourite post-workout snack?
Drinking a protein shake.

12) Who is your favourite band/singer?
I like a bit of everything! Variety is key.

13) What is your favourite TV show , movie or both?
I don’t spend much time watching TV. I like to keep myself busy and when I’m tired, I just go to bed.

14) How do you prepare yourself mentally for a race?
Just staying true to myself by smiling and relaxing.

15) Do you have any pre-race rituals?
Love my Second Cup coffee and pump up music.

16) Do you have a favourite pre-meet meal?
Steak seems to work for me. It was my dad’s suggestion ever since I started swimming.

17) What do you feel is your Career highlight so far?
Representing Canada at the 2008 Olympic Games. Such a good experience!

18) What are your goals for the future in the sport of swimming?
Making another Olympic Team.

19) What is something that most people wouldn’t know about you?
My first language is French.

20) What advice do you wish someone had given you as a young age group swimmer?
I was lucky enough to have been well surrounded as a young age group swimmer. My favorite advice was and still is: Love what you do and do what you love!

If you have any other questions for Stephanie, please post them under comments and we will get her to answer them for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment